Easy to grow and easy to appreciate, lavender (Lavandula) is a welcome addition to any garden, with its beautiful flowers and wonderful aroma. Step 5- Transplant your Lavender Plant into a Larger Pot. Lavender requires low to moderate rainfall and moderate sunlight to thrive when planted, so October's less intense sun and moderate rainfall make it an optimal season for planting lavender. If you're planting more than one lavender plant, leave about 36 inches (91.4 cm) between each plant. Lavender's older stems are woody, and the plant does not divide as easily as many perennials. However, lavenders will also grow in semi-shade, provided the soil conditions are met. The spot should also be as sheltered as possible to protect the plant from wind. Just before you plant the lavender, remove it gently from its pot and shake the soil from the roots. The stone will help with drainage, the lime will alkalize the soil, while the bone meal and fertilizer will help to get your lavender plant off to a good start. 2 or 3 and mix in some horticultural grit, for drainage. Is it possible to grow lavender in a tropical country like the Philippines? This will guarantee good air circulation and allow the lavender space to grow. 1. My area is hot and humid for lengthy periods of the year, and I needed information on how this might be combated. Planting Lavender in a Pot. To achieve the proper level of watering, make sure that the soil dries between each watering; however the plant itself should not be allowed to become dehydrated. "Learning about the soil preparation and planting of lavender helped me to plan for my lavender garden. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Super. "I'm moving to a new home in the foothills of the Sierras and will plant lots of lavender!! Plant lavender in a container made from a material that breathes, such as terra cotta. An ideal time to fertilize your newly planted lavender is after the first watering. Prune back the plants in the late fall. By using our site, you agree to our. Thanks. My soil is clay as I live in the hills of Chattanooga, TN. All you need to grow and maintain this fragrant flowering herb is a suitable spot in the garden and a little horticultural know-how. If you want to decorate your house with lavender, place the flowers in a vase, but do not put the roots in water. Last Updated: September 6, 2020 ", planted them on top of mounds I created for each one. Planting Lavender 8 Tips For Success Planting Lavender is really not that difficult if you just follow these 8 simple tips. To grow lavender, start by digging a hole in a spot with good drainage and full sun. To learn how to harvest flowers from your lavender plant, read on. Lavender is susceptible to root rot. Seasol or a liquid fertilizer that will say on the label that it's a fish emulsion. Add a tablespoon of lime. References We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Did not know I was supposed to shake most of the soil from the. If planting in heavy soil, plant lavender on an 8in (20cm) mound, so the roots aren’t sitting in wet soil. If you are growing lavender in a Northern climate, you will water the plant. ", information given on this site invaluable. Squeeze the bottom of the pot your lavender plant is in. Now I know why it, "Really good information in plain English. I can, "Quite interesting article for beginners. Remove any affected foliage and burn it. Today on Wisconsin Wonder Garden you will learn how to take cuttings from your Lavender and more importantly HOW TO GET THEM TO GROW! Next, you will want to make a hole approximately 3 inches deep (about the size of your lavender plant at this point). Put harvested seeds through a process called "cold stratifying. " I'm in an apartment so I wanted to, "I love your site! If there are spots in the garden that bask in the hot afternoon heat, plant lavenders – they will love it! ", didn't work before. I like info simply-put, too, so a great article! Lavender plants grow in hardiness zones 5 through 10 and are planted about 15 inches (38.1 cm) apart. Lavender is a well known and fragrant plant with gray-green foliage, upright flower spikes, and a compact shrub form. This is called "garbling" the lavender. Mature lavenders form dense mounds of foliage, ranging from grey to green and from 30 to 60 centimetres tall – beautiful even when they're not blooming. Select a container that provides your Lavender enough room to grow. Sun and Temperature Requirements. Choose a well-lit location. According to online research, many gardeners have reported that gophers leave all of their lavender plants well alone. 2. I love it. To ensure good drainage, mix some sand or gravel into the soil before you plant lavender or grow the plants in mounds, raised beds, or on slopes. Thank you. Got info on soil, moisture, and depth. Add a sprinkling of bonemeal to the planting hole, place the plant in the hole, backfill and firm in. I am one of them. #plantinglavender, #homestead, #Permaculture Today I’m planting the first of the English Lavender on the homestead...the first of many. Caring for lavender Lavender prefers alkaline soils, so incorporate some dolomite lime into acid soils before planting and provide slow-release fertiliser each spring. In fact, it is grown in hedges as a way of farming it for the flowers.. Water well. Your plants will need at least six hours of full sun. Do not overwater please! "I have been debating with myself to begin a small lavender farm. Munstead and Hidcote Lavender are two especially hardy varieties. When planting lavender in pots, choose terracotta pots with drainage holes. When choosing your plants, keep in mind that lavender is native to the Mediterranean, where the winters are cool and moist and the summers are hot and dry. Though they are considered virtually pest- and disease-free, some of the issues these plants could be susceptible to are: rust, leaf and flower spots, gray mold, crown rot, and Southern blight. Mona Lavender Care . Lighten ordinary garden soil by adding compost. I have just purchased some new lavender plants and I was looking for information on how to. Just make sure not to over-prune your lavender as this may kill new growth altogether. Join the RHS today and support our charitable work, Keep track of your plants with reminders & care tips – all to help you grow successfully, For the latest on RHS Shows in 2020 and 2021, read more, RHS members get free access to RHS Gardens, Free entry to RHS members at selected times », Reduced prices on RHS Garden courses and workshops, Our Garden Centres and online shops are packed with unique and thoughtful gifts and decorations to make your Christmas sparkle, General enquiries ", Unlock this expert answer by supporting wikiHow, http://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/flowers-and-plants/herbs/10-tips-for-growing-lavender, http://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-lavender/, http://sunshinelavenderfarm.com/planting.php, http://www.sunset.com/garden/flowers-plants/guide-planting-care-harvesting-lavender, http://www.more.com/beauty/makeup/eye-makeup/how-make-your-eyes-look-bigger-makeup, https://purplehazelavender.com/lavender/growing-lavender/, http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/care/tools-and-equipment/disinfecting-tools.html, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. It needs full sun and well-draining soil. Aphids can spread a virus known as the Alfalfa mosaic virus which affects growth and blooming of the plant. "I have never grown lavender before so the article was very useful and interesting. hole in the bottom. To avoid this, never over-water your lavender plants and keep winter watering to a minimum. Everything you need to know about choosing the right lavender for you. If growing in a pot, consider setting the pot upon a bed of stones or gravel to optimize drainage. ", Thank you! Plant lavender with other drought-tolerant plants. Lavender is a Mediterranean herb, so it thrives in hot, sunny locations. You can also plant lavender along pools, sidewalks, or walls for a nice pop of color. A perennial, lavender grows from 1 to 3 feet (0.3 to 0.9 m) tall, depending on the variety. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. New growth looks like long, thin legs sprouting from the leafing branches. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. Can several types of dried lavender be mixed together? Lavender is prized for its richly fragrant flowers and aromatic foliage. ", and how to take care of it. Lavender (Lavandula spp.) The scent, of course, is second to none and used to edge a path or border or to create a low hedge you are going to send the scent up as soon as you brush past it. I learned how to cut it and keep it growing. An hour before you transfer the lavender from its pot, water it so that the roots are hydrated, but not wet. Planting Lavender in full sun which is very important. Do not use wood mulch, which will retain moisture and can lead to root rot.
2020 how to plant lavender