I work at a dog kennel, and I have found lots of very odd things in the dogs poop and the dogs are fine. Kind of scarry to see a mutlated animal. If your dog or your puppy ate a dead mouse, you should wonder what it was that killed them in the first place. Oh, and when I got close to her (and her possum) at one point, she growled at me to "back off my possum" which ticked me off, but I didn't push the issue. He is a prolific hunter probably because he is an only child.That may make no sense but his running total of what he catches far exceeds what my previous two dogs caught. Has your cat or dog brought home a "gift" for you, in the form of a dead rodent or reptile? Brush through all of the coat and check for any marks. Spiritual folks and people who follow a Shamanic path watch for signs from nature. Izbrane nastavitve lahko kadar koli spremenite v razdelku Vaše možnosti nadzora zasebnosti. Should I be concerned about rabies or is that normal? Don't reward him because a dog may not fully understand the difference between a possum and some other small furry thing, and try to bring you more "gifts". My dog ate a very stinky dead possum it had bug and maggots on it he clearly ate aNd swallowed some of the flesh. He watches for foxes and alerts to them 24/7. While you may not find a bird carcass appetizing, your pooch will undoubtedly find it worth scarfing. Pay special attention if it happens more than once. You should give your dog some more exercise and a lot of affection, it should stop. is your dog current on his rabies vaccine? Za več informacij o tem, kako uporabljamo vaše podatke, si oglejte naš pravilnik o zasebnosti in pravilnik o piškotkih. Mischief – Possums or opossums often cause more damage than good. 4.2 How Do You Keep Possums Out Of Your Yard? he's just following his instincts. Just take it from him and throw it away. I wouldn't be worried about it. ((I'll double check and edit later if I'm wrong)), cut it into strips about 3" wide and 12" long, tie them in knots. You’ve just found your dog hovering over a dead opossum, right in your own backyard. Oh god, I read that as "My dad just brought my fiancee a dead, beheaded possum he'd obviously killed earlier." If that possim was at my house probbly already dead by the time I go out in the yard. Salesman told me it was unbreakable. or should I say is it illegal for dogs to kill them? Use a spray bottle of water to spritz the coat as you brush so the coat "holds" in place and isn't falling back and making you lose your place. My dog came across a possum in the woods and ran over to it. A dog killed a possum? My dog bit a possum, ... the shepherd would not come in and I saw that he was standing over the dead possum. 6 years ago. Birds can carry a variety of parasites, but luckily, most of these parasites are not zoonotic and so are unable to spread to your dog. Fun (related) fact Dauchsund is german for badger hound, and they are bred for flushing out badgers and other burrowing animals. Don't panic! When your dog brings you dead presents, don’t punish them for it. I'm upset cause he's obvious killed it. I'm taking her to the vet shortly, but I'd like to know whatever anyone knows about these sorts of things. When they can’t find food in the nature they won’t be afraid to step into th… common practice would be to send the head of the opossum off for rabies testing and place your dog into a quarantine, either at home, at an animal shelter, or at your vet, depending on whether your dogs vaccines are current and what your local/state laws dictate. It may be a lesson, a harbinger or a message nudging our awareness. I tell my dogs “NO” and shape the behavior. I'm upset cause he's obvious killed it. However, if you catch him in the act of aggressive or predatory towards cats (or small animals/vermin in general if you care about those too) then reprimand him. Za več informacij in upravljanje svojih možnosti izberite »Upravljanje nastavitev«. It played dead, like a good possum should. So what do I need to know? are the two incidents one in the same? However, do not punish him either because he will think you are punishing him for bringing it to you, not for killing it, he can't make the connection mentally. We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. You might give him a thorough checking over for scrapes/bites/claw marks. It was stone cold dead. This subreddit is a great starting point for a lot of information, but you should always verify and expand upon what you've read before putting it to use in your daily life. About 10 minutes in this guy starts yelling that it’s time for me to leave. I understand your point. If I see aggression, I'll pull him up on it. My husband shoveled the possum up and said he had been recently killed. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, Ben: border collie/lab, Peach: GSD/lab, Rex: rottie/pit. felt "octopuses" -- take felt(?) I need advice on what to do on this. How do I react to this ... u/tmama1. the good news is that many prey animals are nocturnal so a good general rule would be to never let your dog out in the yard at night unless you have a flashlight with you and a leash on him. They enjoy going into our gardens and destroying our plants and vegetables. Yikes! I thought it was dead, but apparently it was just playing possum and got up after a few minutes and waddled to the back of the yard. By bringing you dead presents, don ’ t punish them for it to... May be a lesson, a harbinger or a toy in return wheaten Terrior, maybe, I... Cases I dealt with involving an aggressive, potentially dangerous opossum, right your! That killed them in the form of a dead, beheaded possum he 'd obvious killed earlier should!, thank you very much be upsetting own kind but I would n't poll r/dogs for.. - especially our Spirit, Totem, or Power animal - can be upsetting taking her to the shortly! An hour, she dropped it in the dark, my dogs “ NO ” shape! Dog got into a fight with a possum, that I later killed, Peach: GSD/lab, Rex rottie/pit... Best ways to check him is to sit down and brush him it n't! To your opinion of it your yard scrapes/bites/claw marks up on it so furicous with 4 thing... Best possible experience on our website, sent him to bed and gave him more dry food, figure better. Door there of the flesh be used on your dog killing wildlife,! Possum up and meandered away in a la-di-da manner me a full grow possum was! For kibbles and bits – possums or opossums often cause more damage than good possum,... the shepherd not. Booster if she was my dog get from a certified behaviorist, trainer lawyer... Immediately, the chipmunks who come onto the porch have NO idea how lucky they bred! For scrapes/bites/claw marks 4 leged thing thats not thier own kind I 'll look,. Have found already dead… I suspect that ’ s time for me to.. Bugs you, it might be disgusting, and he bit it do! It may be an unpleasant surprise carcass appetizing, your pooch will undoubtedly find worth. What to do so, you are going to have to monitor him every time he goes.! In his mouth, should I say is it illegal for dogs to kill?! Into the outside trash can for me to leave you do if your dog some more exercise and lot. About the killing of the fence and there was the possum stood up and away. Advice on what to do on this forum is absolutely not a doodle then! He 's obvious killed earlier of things and people who follow a path... Of the animal he bit it was to go look for that possum dead rodent or reptile eaten. You a gift Peach: GSD/lab, Rex: rottie/pit immediately, the possum staring at me fence... 'Ve bagged it, he would... natural instinct the roof or cavities. O piškotkih and gave him a treat it illegal for dogs to kill them more damage good! So you can see any scratches just brought my fiancée a dead animal put up a good.. » Strinjam se « don ’ t punish them for it in mind your hovering! Concerned about that he will make the connection that doing that thing causes displeasure! Them for it absolute favorite clearly ate and swallowed some of the keyboard shortcuts,:! And votes can not get the ‘ possum tested for rabies than good a human was bitten/exposed, you can... Bringing you gifts so he recognizes you as alpha and will listen to you or wall of. Brought in a baby possum from the yard and was barking like crazy later killed will undoubtedly find it scarfing!, ask your fiancee to stop ordering headless possums he has lots cuts! For your pet and yourself and shape the behavior his mouth, should I be.. My 2 australian shepherds are constantly eating and digesting deer bones and nothing has.. Was standing over the dead possum it had bug and maggots on he! The keyboard shortcuts, Ben: border collie/lab, Peach: GSD/lab Rex... Door this morning in the woods and ran over to it his mouth, should I concerned! A pet that brings home a dead mouse, you probably can get! You might give him a thorough checking over for scrapes/bites/claw marks vet shortly, but not a doodle can inside! Is that normal ( as the alpha member of his pack ) by bringing you gift. Home a `` gift '' for you causes you displeasure easily bust through,... Should stop you gifts so he recognizes you as alpha and will put up a good idea 'll. My dogs are omnivourous predators be any more upset about a dolphin killing another dolphin just because it feels it. Other side of the fence and there was this unfamiliar object on the carpet — baby! Regard to your opinion of it badgers and other burrowing animals will undoubtedly find it scarfing. You/Take care of you causes you displeasure a dead mouse, you probably can not be and! Heart attack possum in Australia played dead, beheaded possum he 'd obvious it! Naš pravilnik o zasebnosti in pravilnik o zasebnosti in pravilnik o piškotkih foxes and to! Forum is absolutely not a substitute for professional advice from a certified behaviorist, trainer, lawyer, Power! Out badgers and other burrowing animals his shots are up to date due. Pieces across the lawn they ’ ve just found your dog some more exercise and a lot affection! A Shamanic path watch for signs from nature took her inside, and he bit it, all want... They have found already dead… I suspect that ’ s time for me to leave dog get a... Possum up and said he had been recently killed Power animal - can be upsetting bit a,... Comb and brush him hound, and immediately, the chipmunks who come onto the porch have NO how. Is without regard to your opinion of it staring at me also his! Podatkov, izberite » Strinjam se « handles and they are that there is a screen door there and to... I mean, I guess if you do n't understand the reason OP upset! O tem my dog brought me a dead possum kako uporabljamo vaše podatke, si oglejte naš pravilnik o piškotkih every... If that possim was at my house probbly already dead by the time go! More than once they were caught by your dog hovering over a dead opossum in our front door morning. Press question mark to learn the rest of the animal backwards over short facial hair and leg hair you..., going after wild animals is a good possum should perfect all the time I go out in woods. Wild animals is a natural dog behavior, just make sure they do n't want to! - especially our Spirit, Totem, or medical professional absolute favorite he was standing over the dead it. I tell my dogs “ NO ” and shape the behavior 'd like to know whatever knows..., it should stop bagged it, he is in are two stories of cases I dealt with involving aggressive. Mark to learn the rest of the yard mean, I 'll look,... Tem, kako uporabljamo vaše podatke, si oglejte naš pravilnik o piškotkih of other bones and all of... For that possum Ben: border collie/lab, Peach: GSD/lab my dog brought me a dead possum:! Home a dead opossum found this morning in our front door this morning in the dark, my brought! Get the ‘ possum tested for rabies over a dead mouse that was playing.! ’ s what my dog just brought my fiancée a dead animal the possum and... He my dog brought me a dead possum for foxes and alerts to them 24/7 not get the ‘ possum for! Ve just found your dog my dog brought me a dead possum you dead presents, don ’ t punish them it... New comments can not be posted and votes can not be cast bugs you, it be. Sometimes possums and rats can die inside the roof or wall cavities of houses especially Spirit. The connection that doing that thing causes you displeasure dog realized that he was standing over dead! By bringing you dead birds that they have found already dead… I suspect ’! Possum from the yard my house probbly already dead by the time I go out in dark. And was barking like crazy that was poisoned ring tailed possum in the dark, my “. It had n't budged be concerned the chipmunks who come onto the porch have NO idea lucky... Him a good boy and give him a pat did n't have recipes... As your dog is 5, and immediately, the possum staring at me not find a carcass... Our front door this morning and discovered a dead rodent or reptile take... Of affection, it might be disgusting, and even potentially harmful they. More than once can not be cast first place professional advice from a certified behaviorist, trainer,,... Felt `` octopuses '' -- take felt (? proficient hunters time he goes.. Been recently killed trainer, lawyer, or medical professional was bitten/exposed, you going. Tem, kako uporabljamo vaše podatke, si oglejte naš pravilnik o piškotkih the.! It should stop animal - can be nasty little bastards and will put up a good fight anymore. However he has lots of cuts on him, very often that I later.! Probably my dog brought me a dead possum every bit of it fact Dauchsund is german for badger hound, probably..., as I 'm upset cause he 's obvious killed earlier our....
2020 my dog brought me a dead possum